Thursday, March 22, 2012

INTERNSHIP INTERVIEWS


JEFF MUNCY - The Brooks Museum

What type of internship are you currently involved in?

- It is a photo internship that covers special events.

What should I expect from a typical internship based off of your experiences so far?

- The don't expect much from me because I go to school at MCA, but I don't know how to answer. I guess, nothing in particular. I photo'd for them once, they liked it, and kept me around.

How do the people there treat you, do they value your contribution?

- They hear me out. Nothing has really come up, but I'm sure they would hear me out with my decision and respect it.

Do they consider you as a employee or as a student?

- They view me more as a volunteer, I do a lot of volunteer for them, but it is all respect.

BIDDY SEVINO - Harvest

Do you think you will pursue that job as a career?

- If they offered? No. I feel like I do not know enough of After Effects or web designing. I don't think I would fulfill their requirements, just by being an Illustrator.

Have you met/come into contact with people you can network with?

- I do not get out except for big events, but they introduce me as the intern. I'm not shoved in a closet, I get some networking opportunities, but not a lot.

Have you learned anything new since you have been there?

- They teach me some web design and After Effects. I'm becoming familiar with print to pdf and larger scale printing along with professional printing systems in sync with Illustrator.

- The people are very sociable, not like hoodies and jeans, but business casual. They all went to MCA, and it does not feel like a business environment. They take me out to lunch with them, it just seems like a group gather working on projects, like with school.

JUSTIN SMITH - The Metal Museum

How many internships have you had so far?

- Just the one.

Is this a place you would consider for a career or just a stepping stone?

- Hmm, it would be a place I would... (hesitation)..consider, yea.

How has this internship benefitted you/ enhance your previous skills?

- I'm learning some technical skills I guess, other than that, not too much of anything else.

Are you well respected with the people you work with? Do they value your importance/contribution?

- No, well maybe a few of them do.

Would you say this i a good experience?

- Yea, I would say so.

Are you able to network often?

- I guess, other artists don't seem to visit often, but people do come in and I usually greet them, say hi, introduce myself. This weekend is the big forging on the river. I'll be working on that so I suppose that would be my oppurtunity to visit and network with other artists.

Do you only do jobs related to your specific department or are you able to branch out?

- I am assigned to work in the shop smithing, but the first few weeks I just cleaned the bathrooms and swept. Lately, I've been doing sculpture related work, drilling holes in the walls, general repair. If what you're asking is do I get to visit the museum, then no, I don't really have a chance to visit the library there either.

If they were to offer you a job would you take it?

- I guess, if they did.

At the end of the internship, or whenever your time with them is done, do you think you would have reached any personal goals you've had?

Just doing the internship alone was a goal I wanted, so yes that went well.

How do you balance school with work?

It's not bad, I spend as much time there working as if it were a studio class, and actually I spend less time in class. They let me work on my projects there, and I don't have as much stress involved here either.

GOOGLE DOCS LINKS
WHY I CHOSE MY INTERNSHIPS

No comments:

Post a Comment